Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

CMS (Center and Medicaid Services) sent a statement to me

Customer Question

CMS (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services) sent a statement to me about my late husband's "estate" detailing some $35 K in medicare benefits for which they are seeking reimbursement.
My husband, who was also covered under TriCare 4 Life as a military veteran, died in 2006. They show "date of incident" as January 1, 1974??? All of the expenses were incurred from Sept 2006 to his death in Nov 2006.
Am I responsible for this debt? Do I have to repay Medicare for insurance coverage?
I did file with a class action which has been pending for 9 years. I have no idea if any compensation received is owed to Medicare.
I am 77 and very confused.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you receive reimbursement under the suit for benefits that medicaid/medicare paid out, they are entitled to recover those benefits. So if you receive a judgment in the class action, medicare is entitled to be reimbursed for whatever you receive that is for benefits medicare paid as part of their legal right to subrogation. You need to turn over this packet to the class action attorney to evaluate so they can break down your settlement to separate what medicare paid and also because they can and have a duty to negotiate with medicare to take less from whatever you receive from the class action suit.