How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm going through a divorce. My wife is dating another man.

Customer Question

I'm going through a divorce. My wife is dating another man. She meet him on the Internet and has only known him less than 2 months. She also found it a good idea to introduce him to my two children 5 and 8. He also has slept over at the house that I still co own with her. I have stated I'm not ok with this man in my/our house. She will not give me his name and I know nothing about him. I want to prevent him from entering my house and more importantly keep him away from my children. Do I have any options?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear what your wife is doing with another man and makes no attempt to protect the children from seeing what is actually going on. Before I can suggest any steps for you to take, I need some preliminary information -

Q. Whose name is ***** ***** deed to the house ? Is your wife's name also on the deed, or is the title to the house only in your name ?

Was the house purchased after the date of the marriage ?

Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you JustAnswer's Offer of Additional Services. It will be easier and faster getting the information I need in order to tell you what steps you can take to protect your young children from being exposed to their mother's infidelity, Okay ? ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both names on deed. I'm renting an apartment. We built the house after being married a few year
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
August 1st for the apartment. Custody is 50/50 via the courts
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Was the Court informed that your wife was bringing a stranger into the house and exposing your children to her extramarital and adulterous affair ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not know about it at that point and to be perfectly honest with you I cheated on her months ago and that is the reason I filed for divorce
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I don't bring her around yet. They did meet her once.
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Family Court judges in all 50 States use the same rules and the same standards when deciding custody of children and that is, what will be in the best interests and permanent welfare of the children. Judges do not expect parents to be saints, but they absolutely expect and require that each parent does not expose the children to the parents bad habits, or to the parents’ extramarital affairs. The fact that your soon to be ex-wife does not seem to care about what your young and impressionable children observe, will work in your favor, should you decide to seek full custody and the Judge will not make any apology for removing your children from this unhealthy environment which your wife has created. All Family Court Judges maintain the same standard – ‘What the parents do once they are separated, is their own business, but once a parent exposes young and impressionable children to the parents’ indiscretions and immoral behavior, it then becomes the Family Court’s business and a Family Court Judge will not hesitate to remove the children from this immoral environment and go as far as prohibiting the adulterous parent from exercising custody or visitation as long as they expoe the children to the unhealthy and immoral lifestyle created by the parent.

Therefore, if you chose to file a petition to Modify Custody and seek to prohibit the mother from any type of custody or contact as long as she continued to expose your young children to her immoral behavior, you would have an excellent chance of succeeding. And, the mother would be prohibited from raising your adulterous affair as her defense. As I stated above, Family Court Judges do not expect parents to act like saints. However, they do expect each parent to avoid exposing their children to their immoral behavior.. Therefore, if you chose to file a Petition to Modify Custody, you wife would not be able to use our affair against you against you, as long as you never exposed your children to your affairs. Family Court Judges have granted custody of children to a mother who earned a living by working in a brothel where the mother was able to prove that she never exposed her children to her chosen profession.

Lastly, since the house was the marital residence, you could very easily ask the Judge to award you the fair rental value of the property if she continued to occupy it with her paramour as well as prohibiting her from bringing the children there and exposing them to her immoral way of life.

Please let me know if you need clarification on anything and I will be glad to explain further.

If I have Ansswered your question, pleased be kind enough to leave a Positive rating s that JustAnswser will give me credit for assisting you. Positive Feedback and Bonus are greatly appreciated

Kindest Regards,