Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

My husband and I have been Citibank customers + years. Two

Customer Question

My husband and I have been Citibank customers for 20+ years. Two years ago we signed up for the cash back card. My husband passed away 6 months ago. I had to change my card and was informed that the secondary card holder cannot claim the cash back rewards. I find this is a policy that discriminates against older women in particular because even though I earn and do all the spending of our combined income, I am prohibited from claiming rewards when the primary card holder passes away. This must be true for many women who are most often the secondary card holders. Do I have any recourse? I can get absolutely no satisfaction from Citibank. Who must I contact to get a real person rather than a customer service person. Do I need a lawyer to assist me in addressing this issue. It is not a large amount but it is the principle of the thing and the need to address any policies that discriminate against women. Mary Ellen Carne
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, most credit card / bank's cash back programs only valid while primary card holder is alive and in the account in good standing and an authorized used of the account would not be entitled to any cash back benefits or use of the account where deceased spouse was primary account holder and unfortunately, because banks have the right to establish their own rules when it comes to the cash back / rewards programs, there would generally not be any legal recourse in a similar case.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!