Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Step son lives with us, he has a car and truck parked at my

Customer Question

step son lives with us, he has a car and truck parked at my house,( they will not run ). can I have them removed.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

This issue is typically governed by local ordinance. What city and county are you in?

Also, are the cars parked in your garage, or are they somewhere visible to the general public?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mulberry, Fl. Visible to the general public.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Mulberry City Ordinance, Section 10-2 prohibits a person from "openly storing" a junked vehicle. Junked vehicle is defined "to include any automobile, truck, or bus, which is inoperative by damage, deterioration or lack of operating parts, or has no current valid registration." So it's actually not legal for your stepson to park those vehicles at your house. If you call the city, they can come out and give him a 10-day notice to remove the vehicles. Then, if they stay there, the cars will be towed by the city. Under Section 10-6, the city can then sell the vehicles to offset the costs of towing and storage. You're not able to remove the cars yourself, but you can have the city do it (and they likely won't tell him who made the initial report).

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.