LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I didnt get paid a recreation basketball game. whatare my

Customer Question

I didnt get paid for Officiating a recreation basketball game. whatare my legal rights in Virgnia
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. If they have failed to pay you for officiating, they would be in breach of the agreement and you would need to sue them for damages. This is likely going to be a matter for small claims court, based upon the amount owed, so you would need to file suit, to collect. Now, if this becomes criminal, the State can represent your legal interest as a victim and get you restitution, if they prevail in prosecuting this person. Of course, you do not need to wait that long and can make a written demand and if not paid, sue them on your own.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but we didn't have a written agreement so how was it a breach if agreement. That wasn't explained thanks for everything else

No problem. You had a verbal agreement. This is a quasi contract. A quasi contract is a contract that exists by order of a court, not by agreement of the parties. Courts create quasi contracts to avoid the unjust enrichment of a party in a dispute over payment for a good or service. As such, you would testify to what was agreed to and that you performed and as a result, they owe you the money.

Did this help clarify?