Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

If the police step on my property and i ask them to stop and

Customer Question

if the police step on my property and i ask them to stop and they reply they have had a call....... do they have to tell me what the call was for if i asked them why they were called?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and happy Thanksgiving Day.

You can ask the police to go get a warrant. If they tell you that they got an emergency call, that would be an exception to the warrant requirement. They don't have to give you specifics. However, if they do find contraband and you end up charged with a crime, you can challenge the search and seizure at a special hearing designed for that purpose. At the hearing, your lawyer would attempt to show that the excuse was just a pretext and the police entered your premises without the appropriate authority. If the judge agreed with your lawyer, any contraband or evidence seized by the police could be suppressed as a result of an unlawful search. Suppressed evidence means that it cannot be used against you and frequently results in the dismissal of the case.