Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I suffer from hypertension and segmented dystonia can I have

Customer Question

I suffer from hypertension and segmented dystonia can I have have a very small dog for companionship in a no dogs apt complex
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

In order to be allowed to have an animal in a no-pets facility, it has to be an assistance animal, rather than a pet. A landlord does not have to allow a pet in a no-pets building for someone who is lonely - it would be up to the person wanting the pet to seek other living arrangements. That means you'd need to be able to establish that you have a disability affecting one or more of life's functions, and that having an animal is required to assist you with that disability or improve your symptoms. That requires getting a note from your doctor indicating your need for an assistance animal and making a request for a reasonable accommodation from the landlord. A pet is not considered a reasonable accommodation, so the request and the letter need to make it clear that you require this animal to assist you with your disability.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.