Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I'm in midst of writing a murder mystery, and am curious to

Customer Question

I'm in midst of writing a murder mystery, and am curious to know if law enforcement is able to find out whether 1. The victim carried life Insurance? 2. For how much? 3. And who the beneficiaries are?
Is it legally possible to do? Via what route?
Thank you.
H.W.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
Most times it is the corner's report that will need to be presented to the insurance company to collect and if it is deemed to be a homicide, the insurance company will contact the Police Agency and discuss the case. That is also a way the police find out that there was a policy. The insurance company is precluded on pay outs to the beneficiary if they are convicted of the crime. And will not pay out until the case is closed or the beneficiary is cleared.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

There are no databases that the police can tap into to see if there are policies. But they can question the suspect, family, friends about any insurance they might be aware of. And use that as a source to then contact the insurance company and find out how much, who took it out, who is the beneficiary, etc.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Usually it the police will find out once the beneficiary submits the corner's report.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thank you and much success with your novel.