Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I recently just broke up with my ex... While together... I

Customer Question

I recently just broke up with my ex... While together... I ran over a bush and it put as hole in his back bumper... Now we agreed at that time to get done income tax time but we ended up breaking up after I sent him to Atlanta for the weekend. Now he's texting me to give him 275 for the hole because we're not together anymore and also threatening to send me to jail..... Should I just give him the money or will I go to jail for this
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

First, you will not go to jail in any event. This is a civil case and his threats of going to jail have no basis in the law. Second, before he can take any action to collect any money against you, even if you owe it, is to file a claim against you in small claims court and get a judgment. If you do feel you owe him the money, then you might want to pay it now just to get him out of your life. But, your agreement was that you would pay it at income tax refund time...so you have no legal obligation to pay it early.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!