Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My wife filed. I received the complaint and I am only being

Customer Question

My wife filed for divorce. I received the complaint and I am only being sued for Divorce. She did not check off equitable distribution of property or any other areas. What does this mean? If we divorce and all the papers go through she is not asking for
any property or items in the house? She left the house a week ago on her own will. Is she entitled to anything if she does not have this area checked off?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It means that the court will issue a decree on the divorce and would leave any equitable distribution up to you and your spouse to either work out between you or she could file a motion for equitable distribution at any time during the divorce proceedings. You need to negotiate a property settlement with her in writing or else she can come back later and fight over property even if she did not check the block on the form, as the court will allow her to do so in court and will entertain the distribution of property.
I would suggest making a list now and getting her to agree in writing. If she doesn't want anything, let her sign a notarized agreement saying she does not want anything, so that can be used in court.