Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I was reached out by an attorney in the circuit court

Customer Question

I was reached out by an attorney in the circuit court for debt collection........Is this classified as "Violation of Law"
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Can you explain what you mean by you were "reached out by an attorney"?

.

Have you actually been sued for a debt in court?

.

Or did you get some type of written letter from the attorney?

.

Did you have an old debt that went unpaid?

.

If so, when was the last time you made a payment on it?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont think I was sued..I went to the court last time I recieved the letter and the attorney we agreed upon the payment method. I was not able to follow up on this. I got another mail asking for court appearance early October that I missed
the question is "is this violation of law". I have the question regarding the violation of law.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then no, this is just a civil matter of a breach of contract if you entered into an agreement to pay and were unable to do so. The creditor's recourse here is to sue you civilly to get a judgment against you and then try to collect on the debt by doing things like garnishing wages and levying on bank accounts.

.

It is not a criminal action, only civil, so the only thing they can do is sue you for money.

.

.

thanks