Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I read the statute of limitation bills is 4 years in

Customer Question

I read the statute of limitation for utility bills is 4 years in Florida. FPL is trying to collect $403 dollars on an unpaid bill from 11 years ago. They have added it to my regular monthly bill and sent me an e-mail stating if not paid by Dec 9th they will remotely disconnect my power. My bills are paid on time and have been.
Is this Legal what they are doing?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The statute of limitations to sue you for the debt is 4 years, yes. FPL cannot sue you for the bill. However, that does not mean they cannot continue to seek to collect by other means. As a public utility, they actually have the legal right to stop service to anyone who owes them money and they can even refuse service to the address where the party used to live and received the service.
FL has no special protections for elderly or handicapped for turning off the power. So you need to respond to them and negotiate a payment plan of a lower amount that you can afford if you owe the bill. You need to speak to the supervisors there who can waive the bill or even reduce it if you claim you do not owe it. However, if they can prove you owe the bill they can indeed seek to shut down the power for the delinquency.