Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Divorce came up yesterday with my husband and he told me to

Customer Question

Divorce came up yesterday with my husband and he told me to leave. I am at a friends. Now he has been texting me to come over and discuss the next move. After he has blown off counseling for a few years now he wants some. I am past that now and just want a divorce. I am so torn up right now and I am an emotional wreck. I am to scared to go over there right now and know it will not be productive. I hate hurting him but I am done. Do I bite the bullet and go see him, email, text, or wait to talk to a lawyer tomorrow?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do not make any emotional decisions, that is how mistakes are made. DO not discuss anything with him right now. Do not talk with him. Let the emotions settle down for at least this week, which being a holiday week will be tough to move forward this week anyhow.

He has refused counseling, so you have seen his intentions in this matter, since he told you to leave.

Your next move is an attorney to file divorce and while you should look for one tomorrow to get the divorce started, do not make hasty judgments yet and it will take the lawyer at least a few days to file the divorce and it will give you chance to think without emotions.

Talking to him right now is not going to do any good, so do not answer him and best would be turning your phone off to ignore his messages. Tomorrow, go see a lawyer and get the process started to file the divorce. It is best if you are first to file.