Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I run a small business, yesterday a client with 6 dogs

Customer Question

I run a small business, yesterday a client with 6 dogs including a Great Dane basically insisted he would be dropping off after my business closes. I am not equipped to handle this large a check in alone and have a sign that no after hours business will be conducted. He flew into a rage and left a voicemail threatening to ruin my business.Is this criminal threatening??
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order to have criminal charges for threats, it has to be a threat to harm you, your family or your property. Threats to ruin your business is not a criminal threat, but threats to burn your business down would be a criminal threat.
So he is a jerk who is angry, but as long as he did not threaten any action itself that would be a crime, the threats would not be criminal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** libel. He has also threatened to smear me on social media. If I close at a certain time, and have a sign to that effect just how over the top can he get about "trashing" my business on social media?
Thank you for your reply.
If he takes to social media with false information, you can sue for defamation/libel. If he makes any type of known false statements about you, then he would be liable to you for any damages caused your business, but that would be a civil suit against him and you could also get an injunction against him if he does this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is commenting on facebook (and this includes some patently false statements) thru his daughter's account. Up until yesterday I dealt with him exclusively.
Thank you for your reply.
IF he is dragging his daughter into this, then you can sue both him and his daughter for the defamation/libel and seek an injunction from the court to force him to remove the false comments.