LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I went thru Expedia to book a room (suite) days this past

Customer Question

I went thru Expedia to book a room (suite) for 3 days this past September, but then ended up having to cancel, I did this by sending them an email (it was 3 days prior to my arrival date, so well within my 24 hours notice), I never did hear back and just assumed the room had been cancelled. Well, to my absolute horror the room was never cancelled and I was a no show for all 3 days, and they ended up charging me the whopping $600.00 plus dollars. I tired talking to both the hotel and Expedia, explaining the situation and all I got was " I understand your frustration, but NO REFUND" This is heart wrenching and I don't have that kind of $$$ to shell out, and I thought I was doing the right thing by emailing to cancel 3 days in advance, they say they never received my email:( Is there anything that can be done to retrieve the $619.00??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20 mins ... Hello is anyone there?? Did you receive my question re the retrieval (refund)in the amount of $619.00 on a room in Minnesota which I cancelled thru an email, but they never said they got. Neither the, Hotel nor Expedia are willing to make this right and credit the $619.00 (I sent an email 3 days prior to my due to arrive date :(
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. May I ask why you did not just call up and speak with a live person to cancel ? Also, do you know if the cancellation policy allows it to be done via email?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was staying at my daughter's and her family (just had a baby) They have two other small children, and I was helping out. I called the Hotel, but he said I couldn't go thru them (Hotel) to cancel, I had to cancel thru Expedia, so I was to contact them. Well, by this time I did not even bother to look up HOW TO CANCEL, I just emailed them, was easier than looking up phone number and calling. I am not a trip planner. In hind site, I wish I would have taken the time to look up cancellation policy and called instead of emailed.

Thank you for the additional information. The terms and conditions of Expedia, when it comes to cancellation, are going to control. I completely understand that you emailed them in good faith but if their policy required you to call them up or fill out a form or do something other then send an email and it was not done, they do have a legal right to charge you the full amount, since the proper procedure was not followed. Moreover, when you sent the email, there was a burden placed on you to follow up and confirm it was even received and that the reservation was canceled, prior to the 3 day deadline. When you never heard anything back, you did need to contact them to make sure it was taken care of. Since they do not accept email, to cancel the a reservation and nothing was done, the room was held and reserved and not booked, so that money was lost. Had it been properly canceled, they could have sold it to someone else. You can dispute it with your credit card company but would have to show you properly canceled the room, according to the usage terms of the site. If you show them a copy of the email, it may not be enough to prevail and they will likely side with the site and process the charge. I know this is not ideal and what you want to hear but I have an obligation to be upfront and honest with you and the information I provide

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!