LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

Was served memorandum of costs after judgement what can I do

Customer Question

Was served memorandum of costs after judgement what can I do if unable to pay $3222 in accrued interest I receive social security disability I suffered spinalcord injury 2007 leaving me a paraplegic I'm on a fixed income I don't know what I need to do now after being served by mail what steps can I take?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Do you have any significant assets aside from your home and a car?

2. Do you have other income except for SSDI?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't have other assets and I do recieve my pers disability retirement with ssdi, no other source of income
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did y I u get my response
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I meant did you get my response
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Thanks for your additional information.

You are what we call judgment proof. The judgment against you and the taxed costs of the suit result in a paper judgment. However, the creditor has no way to collect from you.

Your home is protected as is your car. Social security benefits cannot be garnished per federal law and so long as you deposit ONLY your social security benefits into your bank account and keep all other money separate from that account, the account is fully protected from levy as well.

So, while the creditor may have a judgment against you, there is nothing they can take from you.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are not able to touch my disability pension either
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

No, they most likely are not. They cannot garnish that either, presuming that pension plan that was set up under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). Virtually all employer pension plans are set up under ERISA.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for information.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

Thank you for your kind words as well. They are appreciated.

Please understand that in order for me to be compensated for having helped you, I need for you to positively rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy.

Thanks in advance.

I wish you the best,

Doug