Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I lived with a women years in her house, during which time I

Customer Question

I lived with a women for 12 years in her house, during which time I invested a minimum of 30 hours a week of skilled labor remodeling, building and repairing her property. I am a graduate engineer with excellent construction skills. In addition I spent significant $$s in supplies which forced me to file Chapter 7. We split in 2012. I have no interest in her property,only to be compensated for the work and expenditures I contributed. I was led to believe this was to be our retirement home. I feel that I should be compensated for my work and costs. She feels "I should be glad I had a place to stay" which is the same way of saying "to bad"! I am running up against a 4 year statute and need to do something something soon! Your advice. Ken Buschmann
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ken - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The main issue here is whether or not she agreed to reimburse you or pay you for the work performed......if she did not agree to this, then your work would be viewed as being voluntary and you would not be entitled to seek payment from her. However, if she agreed to pay you, then you would have a right to seek what you're due under several theories, such as breach of contract and unjust enrichment.