Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

This is a stretch...In middle of divorce....in 1996 my

Customer Question

This is a stretch...In middle of divorce....in 1996 my husband asked me to help him cut some deer trails for hunting on a piece of property we bought. To this day, I have never hunted. However, during that fateful trip I acquired Lyme disease. I am 100% disabled. I was bedridden for many years, but able to move around the house currently. Does he own half my illness? (I'm in the settlement phase)
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, it is a stretch based on arguing that you went into the woods with him and caught lyme disease. However, it is not a stretch that if you are permanently disabled and unable to work and that occurred during the marriage and as such he is liable under that basis for spousal support (since he has a duty to support you if you are not able to support yourself for any reason if you were disabled during the marriage). Your disability is basis for spousal support as that is one of the factors the court considers.