LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

How do I prove age discrimination?

Customer Question

How do I prove age discrimination?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. As you are aware, an employer cannot fail to hire an employee, discharge an employee, pay him less money, or otherwise discriminate in the terms, conditions, and privileges of employment because of an individual's age. Now, to prove it, could be difficult unless the employer has made comments to the employee or to some third person which shows that the employment decision was age-motivated. However, a discriminatory motive can be proved indirectly. For example, if an employee can show that the employer knew that the reason which it gave for an employment decision was false, or if the employee can show that younger employees were treated less strictly for engaging in the same type of behavior, age discrimination can be established. As such, you want to gather and document the times in which this happened and then determine if it is enough to show you were discriminated against or if they will be able to claim that their decisions were a result of something else.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!