Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

A developer is partially demolishing a building directly

Customer Question

A developer is partially demolishing a building directly behind my house (80 feet away) to build 4 floors of apartments on top of the existing walls. The demolition is so violent my 111 year old historic home is shaking. The drywall is cracking and nails are popping from the ceiling. I called my city Alderperson and was told I have no recourse. Must I sit idly by as my house is destroyed around me?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1. I am not a construction expert but do you know of any safety measures the developer could have taken to prevent this from happening?

2. What did the insurance company and inspector tell you?