LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My my girlfriend is in jail because her last three pee cups

Customer Question

My my girlfriend is in jail because her last three pee cups her probation officer said have been diluted and that she was going to jail! She then told my girlfriend that the judge said "I'll see her when I want to" and this all happen at 9:45 am nov 19th my question is how long can they legally hold her without setting a bail ? In Illinois ford county
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Based upon what you shared above, there was a violation, since the samples were diluted, whereby probation considers that a fail. As such, a warrant can be issued and/or she can be taken into custody and held. The Judge sets the bond, so there is nothing that says when a defendant is on probation and violates, that they must have a bail set, as they can be held without bond, for the violation. This is a technical violation and if this is her first violation, the prosecutor should not really seek any jail time. If anything, they would violate her, reinstate the probation and extend the term with additional requirements. If this happened this morning and she is in jail now, she should go before the Judge within 24-48 hours. If not, then you want to retain an attorney for her, who can file a motion for the bail to be set. What may delay this is the time it takes for her PO to violate her and submit all the paper work, so the violation can be filed with the State.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!