Michael Lykken, Esq
Michael Lykken, Esq,
Experience:  Partner at Soares & Lykken, Attorneys at Law
77500129

I work licensed contractor in the road construction

Customer Question

I work for a licensed contractor in the road construction business. He is going to be going to court over a dispute with another contracting company over money owed for equipment rentals. He completely disagrees on the amount of money they are claiming he owes. There are approx. 40 different jobs that have charges being disputed. I am responsible for the letter that is going to his attorney, requesting that the plaintiff produce breakdowns of all these different back charges, copies of receipts, copies of final payments, copies of invoices, etc. What is the correct format for writing this type of letter? I am not sure at all how to write it up. There are so many individual charges he is disputing, do I list every one of them? HELP please!
Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a California attorney. Although you are in AZ, your question is a more general nature so I can help you with this. As I understand it, it sounds like you are supposed to help your employer's attorney with a request for production of documents from the plaintiff. The attorney will put the request in the proper format. What I would want from you as the attorney is a listing of the documentation that the Plaintiff should have that is related to the case and could lead to evidence that is admissible in court. So you could probably assemble a list of the documents as a starting point, and then the attorney can get back to your employer with more specific questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I could just make an entire list of all the individual jobs in dispute and what documents he would like to have for each of those jobs? That makes sense and it makes me feel better knowing that his attorney will put it in the correct format for the courts. The list is quite long. He is, basically requesting the same documents for all the different jobs. There must b at least 40 different jobs dating back to 2009, I believe.

That is correct. I would list the documents the plaintiff would have for each job (you can also include emails and texts in the request aside from time sheets, etc.) There most likely will be overlap, but the attorney can deal with that when he/she drafts the request. It is a lot of work, but litigation is often a paperchase and discovery can make the litigation more expensive and lead to settlement.

Hello, I hope you found my service helpful. I only receive credit for this response if you rate it, so if you could do so I would appreciate it. Thank you!