Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My husband and I are over 80 and heard that if medical bills

Customer Question

My husband and I are over 80 and heard that if medical bills cannot be paid, we are able to keep the home we live in and one auto. Is this correct?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If you have less than $500,000 in equity in your home and you file a "homestead declaration", then it would exempt your home from any creditor action if you were sued by medical creditors and they got a judgment. Since you are both over 62, there is a $1,000,000 equity exemption for your home..

.

While there isn't an automatic exemption for any vehicle, there is a $15,000 exemption for equity in a vehicle if used by an elderly debtor. So if you have a $30,000 car and owe more than $15,000 on it, it too is exempt.

.

So essentially, yes, you are correct subject to the rules above.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** to my satisfaction.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time..

.

.

Have a great evening!