Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Wondering what procedure to take in answering a summons,

Customer Question

Wondering what procedure to take in answering a summons, listing me as defendant in a car accident dated Nov. 22, 2013--almost exactly 2 years, and plaintiff as State Farm, who apparently paid for their own client's car repairs, etc., but nothing to me, my daughter for her car, or for my granddaughter's medical needs. The other driver was ticketed by WV police for stopping on a 65 mph freeway. I was not cited nor ticketed. State Farm claims that I am entirely negligent, did not use my brakes (facetious) was going too fast, etc. None of their claims are listed on the police report. They want me to reimburse them for almost $24,000. I received this today, but it is dated Nov. 9. I have 20 days. What the heck do I do? Since neither insurance paid anyone anything, why I am in the hot seat?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

You should send this with letter overnight to your insurer.Your insurer is obligated to answer this and provide representation as a policy holder.You appear to have great facts here your lawyer to refute this and seek a better outcome.You do not have to file your own answer here your insurer does os and pays any judgment up tot he amount of your policy limits.

Your duty is to make sure they get it timely.So make a copy of it for your files and send it overnight with a cover letter to your insurer.This gives you the best chance to prevail using the free lawyer through your insurance.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

You will be fine here just make sure your insurance company gets a copy, they are obligated by law to defend you.

Thanks again.