Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

A 501(c)3 sold raffle tickets prizes with the understanding:

Customer Question

A 501(c)3 sold raffle tickets for certain prizes with the understanding: Need not be present to win. Name and Telephone # ***** the only requirement. Drawing was held and a winning name was drawn that was not present.We have not been able to reach the person.Attempts have been made to reach this person for over 6 days.Messages have been left with no responses.How long should we wait?Do we need to draw another name,or do we keep the items to use another time?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I suggest that you cannot draw another name. You have to give your winner an opportunity to get the message and respond.

I suggest you should be making every attempt to find the persons address so that you can write a letter, to mail certified with a return receipt requested and tell them they have won the prize and they have 30 days from receipt of the letter to claim the or the prize will be forfeited. You would get the green card back from the PO showing when the letter was received.

If the letter is rejected or returned undelivered OR if you cannot locate an address, then I suggest, you need to run a small AD in your local paper stating that this person has won the prize and they have 30 days to claim it.

If those options do not work, then I suggest you can use the prize for another raffle.