Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Is it legal bank to release a title to another individual if

Customer Question

Is it legal for a bank to release a title to another individual if they are not on the title itself, or the loan for which the lien was placed on the vehicle?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Sorry...I do not understand. What do you mean "release to another individual not on the title"

What does that mean?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mother in law decided to get the title of the van I'm signing over to the ex. She has nothing to do with the loan and the title is in my name only. The only connection is the fact she banks at the same establishment. It is a small loan, I believe there's only around 1000 out yet, but I find it disturbing that any financial institute would release a sensitive document like that without so much as a call to the only person on the loan
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you
But mom is not on the title, is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct, I am the only one on the title and the loan
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor had to step away.
No, if you are the only one on the loan and title, then without a court order the bank was only supposed to release the title to you. If they have released it to someone you did not authorize to receive it without any court order, then the bank is liable to replace the title to you and if they refuse you can sue them for damages.
Your mother in law had no legal rights to the title and until everything was signed over to your ex spouse, she did not have rights to the title either.