LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

A family friend and I got in to a fight. I left before the

Customer Question

A family friend and I got in to a fight . I left before the cops showed up . He decided he wants press charges.
The police haven't contacted me to come speak with them or turn my self in . Is it ture that the police only have a certain amount of time to locate u before its eithier dropped or sent state attorney.
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While technically there is an amount of time between an alleged crime occurring and when the prosecutor's office must file criminal charges against a defendant, for something like mutual assault---presuming that would be the charge in this situation, the time period is at least one year, depending on which state you are in.

Oftentimes, if you haven't been contacted by police within a few weeks, and you haven't been in hiding somewhere avoiding contact from police, chances are that they have made the decision to look to prosecute---despite the fact that the other party asked to have charges pressed.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug