Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Is the tenant responsible fire if the fire accures while

Customer Question

Is the tenant responsible for accidental fire if the fire accures while tenant isn't home?The fire department couldn't determine the cause of fire.The situation is as follows...I was cakes home from work by older child.When I arrived on the scene the fire department & landlord were there.They couldn't determine the cause.But because my younger daughter had entered the apartment while I wasn't home.The landlord is saying I'm responsible for left over damages that his insurance company didn't cover.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There is no immediate answer if the FD cannot determine the cause of the fire.

1) If the tenant or a minor in tenant's care causes the fire, the tenant is responsible. If the minor is not the child of the tenant, the actual parent/guardian may also be held liable under F.S.A. § 741.24 if the starting of the fire is proven to have been purpseful by the child.

2) If the fire begins naturally due to the state of the property (lack of normal maintenance, for example), then the tenant is not liable.

3) Normally the parties go off the determination of FD as to who began the fire, which may be argued to be wrong in Court, but generally holds a lot of sway.

4) If the FD cannot determine the cause, then it would be up to the parties to prove in Court as to the cause, if the landlord tries to evict and/or sue for damages. (If so, the landlord has to prove what started the fire).

Good luck.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.