CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I have stage 4 cancer, in November 2014 I red a lady to have

Customer Question

I have stage 4 cancer, in November 2014 I hired a lady to have and estate sale, I was very ill and didn't see the red flags. Long story short I gave her full reign, She was adamint that I could not attend the sale. I had an appraisal of items of about $ 40,000.00 and other items totaling about $ 20,000. When it was all said and done I received a check for 41719.00, Irequested a contract which I never received. A neighbor said she drove up with a large truck and loaded it up with another lady. A few customers bought some items..
I had a large antique oriental buffet appraised at $13,000.00 which sold for $ 600.00. I'm 73 years old and I know she must be doing this to other senior citizens, I have very little info that I was able to find out about her, I have her phone number name and she lives in Scottsdale AZ mover was Hector and I have his phone number, Is this worth pursueing in court?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

The attorney you contacted is correct, you likely do have a civil suit (both for fraud and more accutely for "financial abuse of an elder"). You can try contacting a few other attorneys and see if they are willing to accept your case on a "contingency basis" - meaning they will pursue the suit against this individual with no out of pocket money for you (they advance their services and costs of litigation), in exchange for a portion of your recovery. If I were in your position, I wouldn't advise spending a lot of money out of pocket to try to pursue this yourself (these cases may have a high value attached to them, but recovery is often difficult).

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).

You can also file a complaint with the state Attorney General (here: https://www.azag.gov/complaints), keep in mind, the AG"s office will look into the matter and pursue administrative and/or criminal sanctions against the individual, but they will not recover your money for you (that is not their role).