LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I have a question if my boyfriend died and I lived in house

Customer Question

I have a question if my boyfriend died and I lived in house with him for 5 years, and there is a lot of things no recipts, does his brother have the right to take everything or am I entitled to any of the things in house?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You would have a legal right to take the items which you bought/own or those items which were given to you as a gift by your boyfriend. However, items which were his would go to his Estate and if there is something which is jointly owned, then a dispute could arise and you can ask to be bought out or offer to buy out the Estate, to take the item. The brother does not have a right to take everything, since some of the items are yours and it would be unreasonable to think that after 5 years of living together, every purchase was made by your boyfriend and nothing by you and/or any gifts were given.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!