Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

My vehicle was towed and impounded by county sherrifs the

Customer Question

my vehicle was towed and impounded by county sherrifs the vehicle is properly registered and tabbed and insured. I do not have a valid drivers license and I have a warrant in another county in a unrelated matter. the police placed a hold on my vehicle claim I have to go to the sheriffs department to prove ownership of the vehicle. I received a letter from the tow lot that has my vehicle claiming that if I do not come and get the vehicle within 45 days they are goin going to sell it at auction. can the police legaly hold my vehicle? I was not driving it and they appairently did not see who was driving it. I have received no citations in the matter. and can the tow company sell my vehicle ?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, they can legally hold your vehicle IF they had a valid reason to tow it in the first place. They can make you show ownership, but law, so that they know that the right person has come to pick up the vehicle. They can even make you pay storage fees to get the vehicle out of the impound lot.

The tow company can go through a court process wherein they sell your vehicle as well.

The issue here is whether they possessed the vehicle legally or not. Based on what you have shared with me, if you have not received a citation, then they may not legally have the right to tow in the first place.

If you can, have an attorney contact the law enforcement to see if there are any charges. You can then make a decision as to how to proceed from there but you will know if there are charges that it was likely legally towed.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please rate my answer positively as well.

Best wishes!

Did you have any other questions or comments? I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward in this situation. Thank you.