Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I paid a contractor 2/3 of money and he had 5 months to

Customer Question

Hi I paid a contractor 2/3 of money for job and he had 5 months to complete. I came back from summer the job is 15% done. He keeps making promises noting happening. What should I do
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. My name is***** am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You have a few options in this situation:

1. You can allow the contractor more time to complete the project.

2. You can terminate the contract if the contractor is in breach (which it sounds like he is based on the timeline). You will need to be sure that the contractor will return the proportion of your money that he did not earn since you advanced him 2/3 of the job. Typically, this money is already long-gone. If that is the case, you may need to sue the contractor to attempt to recover the money he kept for work he didn't do.

Aside from these options, you are pretty limited due to having advanced payment for the project to the contractor prior to the work being completed.