John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

I was contacted by A1 Debt Collection Agency on the behalf

Customer Question

I was contacted by A1 Debt Collection Agency on the behalf of a handicapped organization. The lady said that I had ordered an oven mitt in 2012 and had not paid for it. I really do not remember. She said with fees it was 200 plus dollars that I owed but they would settle for $164.33.
She said she had all records including the recording of me placing the order. I told her to send me all the proof and then I would send her the money. At first she said we do not send proof to the customer, that it would be sent to court. I told her I had reviewed the Fair Practice Act. Then she said she would send me all the proof but in the meantime she would turn over all evidence to the courts and they would contact me and my bill would then go to over $300 for them plus court cost from Arizona and I am in NC. What must I do
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Honestly this sounds like a scam. A debt 3 years old now, that you never heard of, they have somehow purported to add "fees" to it, they do not have anything to validate their claim and are trying to scare you into paying without validation. I wouldn't pay anything on this. I'm doubtful they'll ever get you anything to validate the claim. "Turning evidence over to a court" means filing a lawsuit, which they would have to do in your home state. If they call again, tell them they haven't validated the claim per your request and that pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act to A) provide all their contact information including the caller's identity, and B) to stop calling you or you will report them the the Fair Trade Commission for violation of the FDCPA.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.