Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

The Doe Trust, Trustee,Trustor was dismissed in pretrial

Customer Question

The John Doe Trust, Trustee,Trustor was dismissed in pretrial motions. Later John Doe was found guilty of a asbestos issue and a award of over $740,000 was awarded.
Can the Trust etc. be held liable?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of litigation experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

In all likelihood, the answer to your question is no. However, if when John Doe was held liable for $740K evidence became available, that was not available with the trust, trustee, etc., were dismissed on pre-trial motions, then in theory, a new suit could be filed against those dismissed entities.

The only basis for the new suit would have to either be rooted in new evidence or fraud on the part of the dismissed parties to the action that led to their dismissal in the first place.

In the vast majority of cases, however, the answer to your question would be no.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please also rate my answer positively (4 or 5 stars), so that I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking in with you to see if you have any additional questions. I want to make sure that you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Best!