Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I was attacked reason. the perpetrator t me in the face

Customer Question

I was attacked for no reason. the perpetrator hit me in the face head-butted me in the face and chipped my teeth and broke my nose. all out of a random drunken rage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

I am very sorry to hear that you were a victim of this senseless violent attack..

.

Were they able to identify the person who attacked you?

.

What is your legal question I can help with tonight?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know who attacked me. so do the witnesses. I need to know is it worth charging him with battery. for medical bills and court fees. I would also like to know how the process would go pursuing this.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Well, to be honest, I am not sure what you mean by "would it be worth charging him"...

.

If you want him to suffer the criminal penalties of the assault, which would be a misdemeanor conviction along with him having to reimburse you for any damages you have incurred, then yes, it would be worth it.

.

This would avoid you having to sue him civilly for any damages as part of any plea deal would include any restitution for your medical costs.

.

But if you wanted to sue him for pain and suffering and punitive damages, you would have to sue civilly as well. A criminal conviction would make that even easier because he would already have been proven to have committed the act.

.

As for what is involved, you first have to contact the local PD or the District Attorney and tell them that you wanted to file a formal criminal complaint against the person for the assault. Then the DA would contact you to get your version of events and file the formal criminal charge. Then a few weeks before any trial, (if he didn't plead guilty to a deal) then the DA would contact you to go over your testimony prior to you showing up on the date of any trial and testifying what happened.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I need to get an estimation on all medical bills before I charge him
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

No, that would all come up during the course of any prosecution. You would have to provide that info to the DA once you have it available so he can make that part of any plea deal or conviction restitution.

.

.

thanks