P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

Is social security and VA checks subjects to garnishment?

Customer Question

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

The answer is, generally, no.

The law prohibits creditors from garnishing VA disability or SS checks.
That said, a court can consider VA disability and SS in deciding if support is appropriate. So a court could consider that income (VA and SS) in determining if support is appropriate.
And the federal government can take money from another federal agency (so, say a person owed money to the IRS, they can enforce that debt via the VA)
But other than that?
It is not possible to garnish

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.