MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

I recently applied job at 24 hour fitness and was turned

Customer Question

I recently applied for a job at 24 hour fitness and was turned down. But while going through the two interviews (which I passed with flying colors) I asked if my current membership would be eliminated due to my free membership as an employee. Which I was told it would just be frozen. I did not want to lose it because of the great deal I was given. ($800 for 3 years and $29 plus tax for life.) I have had this membership going on 10 years. (Still have original contract) Unfortunately, as I've stated I did not receive the job, due to my not so great background- having a felony. I did however just get my annual bill with an increase of over $100. I have spoken to a few friends that pay $50-60 annually. They said no change has occurred on their bill. I reread the contract and it states that an increase can be applied monthly of 3% per month on monthly memberships. I do not understand how they can increase my bill so high or not apply this to everyone as we all got the membership at the same location. This all happened as soon as I got denied employment. Do I have grounds for suit? I just don't want to be taken advantage of due to my past. If anything I can deal with a slight increase but I believe this is unfair. And they want it in a month.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. My name is***** am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The short and sweet answer is that you could try to sue them, but you would have a difficult time proving that the reason they increase your gym membership was due to the issues with the job application.

Furthermore, litigation can get expensive and when you take into account the cost of filing suit and moving forward with litigation, the cost of an attorney, and all other expenses, you will spending easily tens of thousands of dollars pursuing this.

Your best bet would be to try to negotiate the fees with the gym and if you cannot get it done through them, try contacting corporate to see if they can help.