Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I left my prescription medicine at sisters house. Can i

Customer Question

i left my prescription medicine at sisters house. Can i legally have her send it to me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she live in Calirfornia and i in Nevada
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

453.31 Controlled Substances

If the distribution of a controlled substance is unlawful under 21 U.S.C. 801 or any implementing regulation in 21 CFR 1300, then the mailing of the substance is also unlawful under 18 U.S.C. 1716.

Controlled substances and drugs that contain controlled substances are acceptable in the domestic mail only under the following conditions:

1. For mailable controlled substances, generally both the mailer and addressee must meet either of the following conditions:
    1. Be registered with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
    2. Be exempted from DEA registration, such as military, civil defense, and law enforcement personnel, in performing official duties.
  2. For prescription medicines containing mailable narcotic drugs (controlled substances), when mailed by drug manufacturers or their registered agents, pharmacies, medical practitioners, or other authorized dispensers as permitted by 21 CFR 1307.12 or in compliance with any regulation of the Food and Drug Administration or other applicable law.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

In essence, it would be illegal for your sister to mail the medication. I suggest that if the pharmacy where the prescription was filled is the same in your/her area, that you discuss this with your pharmacist and they can help to have the local one in your sister's area mail it to you as they are registered.