Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Our neighbors own several dogs that are kept outdoors and

Customer Question

Our neighbors own several dogs that are kept outdoors and bark constantly at all hours. The neighbors have been spoken to, animal control has been there as well as the sheriff's department. Nothing has done any good. I am 64 years old, in poor health and am home all dy. The stress from the constant barking and the interrupted sleep are very hard for me
to take. I end up feeling exhausted and anxious. What can be done?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

this is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

I do not participate in phone calls offered by this site, but will continue here.

I am sorry to hear of the annoying situation you are in and that nothing has come of your complaints to animal control and/or the sheriff.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

I suggest, if you have not already done so that you make a complaint with the NY Dept of Environment. Please click this link for that information and how to make the complaint.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

On that website it states in part the following:

The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) may send a letter to the dog's owner within 7 days of getting your complaint. The letter will explain how to curb the dog's barking. For the DEP to respond to your complaint, you must provide the address where the dog is barking and your contact information. Your information will not be shared with the dog's owner.

If a letter is sent to the dog owner, then the DEP will send you a letter with instructions about how to follow up if the dog continues to be noisy.

If the DEP has already sent letters to the dog owner, they may do a noise inspection.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

And a link for you to file the complaint and request they visit the home for noise pollution.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

If you are not in NYC, then I suggest you will want to video the dogs barking at all times of the day and night. You will want to have that if you decide to proceed with a civil lawsuit against your neighbors for the interruption of your right to live in your home peaceably. And if you decide to do that, I suggest you will want to consult with a local attorney.