Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I inherited $100,000 a few years back being and dumb I

Customer Question

Hello I inherited $100,000 a few years back being young and dumb I cashed the check my lawyer gave me and kept the money in a safe in my home.. A few months back I wanted to buy a house so I deposited about 60,000 into my bank account in increments 0f $7,000 over the course of a few months. One night 2 officers from the D.O.J came to my home and said they recived a report of me making suspicious deposits.. I provided the officers with proof of where the funds originated and was cleared of any wrond doing. I work as a correctional officer and must report any contact I have with law enforcement to my boss. Needless to say he was a bit shocked and I feel he never looked at me the same. I decied to leave that job and that town. I applied to another jail and recived a conditional offer of employment but after I explained to them I was recently investigated by the D.O.J they rescinded the offer! I feel the bank had no right to report me to the D.O.J and I also feel like the amount I deposited wasnt significant enought to trigger an investigation. I know other people who deposit larger amounts without a problem. I feel I have suffered needlessly.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?