ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Is it a violation of one's civil rights probation officer to

Customer Question

Is it a violation of one's civil rights for a probation officer to deny the opportunity of a pre trial inmate the ability to bailout on DOC approved electronic ankle monitoring prior to a bailout hearing?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Not necessarily. That is, these situations are contextual. It would be the same consideration as with "excessive bail" situations. A million dollars bail might be excessive for someone booked on petty theft or DUI, but wouldn't be if on trial for capital murder. In the same sense, these situations are largely in the discretion of the officer, and ONLY if it could be shown to be clearly unreasonable in light of the circumstances OR that the officer was considering a protected classification (race, age, religion, gender, disability) could that be a violation of civil rights. Otherwise, it would be in the discretion of the officer, and the courts would not second guess that discretion (even if they would, in their own discretion, make a different ruling).

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Was there anything else? Again, ▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.