Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

The registry of motor vehicle in East Brook, GA have tickets

Customer Question

The registry of motor vehicle in East Brook, GA have tickets for 1.No Proof of Insurance, 2. defective equipment 3. failure to appear. I moved back to Boston in 1991. I never receive a notice to appear. Also, I paid these tickets in 1991 by money order but I no longer have any paperwork from 24 years ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I actually just had someone else in MA who got the same issue with the state of SC. The problem is that it is upon you to prove you made the payment, which of course after 24 years is going to likely not be possible. The only two ways to resolve this to get your license hold released are 1) pay the tickets again (obvious solution) or 2) you need an attorney in GA to go to court and seek to vacate the convictions and dismiss the citations, which is something within the power of the GA court, but not something they generally do frequently and requires representation by a GA attorney to get done. It will cost roughly $500 for a GA attorney to go to court to seek to get the tickets vacated to release the hold.
Those are really your only options on this type of case though.
Please use the reply button here, no need to open new questions for follow up information.
You can file your own motion to vacate, but you would then have to travel to GA to show up in court to argue your case before the judge. Furthermore, GA does not make the motion to vacate form available online, it is one an attorney has to draft from scratch. So if you can go to GA and can get to the GA court library and get the form book from the librarian for a template for the motion to vacate you could do it yourself, but quite honestly the cost of you doing it yourself will likely meet or exceed what an attorney will charge you.