Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I am being transferred job to another state. How can I break

Customer Question

I am being transferred for my job to another state . How can I break my lease if this is possible
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Unfortunately, moving for another job does not give you a basis for terminating your lease early. BUT, you exposure for terminating the lease even though you don't have a reason is very limited due to the landlord's duty to mitigate. What that means is that even if you may not have the right to terminate your lease, once you notify the landlord you are terminating, the landlord has a legal affirmative duty to mitigate the damages by using reasonable efforts to re-lease the property. Once the property is re-leased, or if the landlord does not use reasonable efforts to re-lease, you would then be off the hook for further obligation. Given the current positive lease market, it is unlikely a judge is going to rule a landlord has satisfied the burden of using reasonable efforts to mitigate if the property is not re-leased within at least 1-2 months. In addition, if you move out of state, it's not likely a landlord would go to the trouble to pursue you for such a small amount.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!