Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

My company did work at a property. The property owner paid

Customer Question

My company did work at a property. The property owner paid us then put a stop payment on the check. What legal recourse do I have?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

The first, and most effective thing, to do is to go to the District Attorney with the check. There is a crime in texas called "theft of Services" and stopping payment on a check after services have been rendered meets the definition of this crime.

If that doesn't work, then the only other alternative is to file suit either yourself or by hiring a local attorney.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If you do go to the step of hiring an attorney you want to talk to them about a workman's lien. They generally have to be put in place before work is started but there may be a way to do it since the owner paid you and stopped payment.