N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Experience:  attorney at self
9653905

I have been trying to get back my property which was taken

Customer Question

I have been trying to get back my property which was taken from me since February of this year. I have hired an attorney first to have the lady who took my property to tell my lawyer who she gave my property to. After 6 months she to him. When I went to get my property from the second person he told my lawyer he gave it away and he told my lawyer who he gave it to. I then went to that person and they sold my property to the person who has it now. I tracked down that person. My attorney has been in touch with this person and explained that she has property that was not given up. Now this person understands my situation but now wants me to give her $5000 for it. I have told my attorney to file a lawsuit against this person but he keeps saying that I should settle with her because it would be quicker and less costly. But he keeps saying I will win. The police has not wanted to get involved but they do not know about the last part of her wanting me to give her $5000 for my own property. To me that is extortion. What can be done?
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

My opinion is that your lawyer is correct. If you get clear title for $5,000 it is well worth it because, win or lose, it will cost you many times that amount to carry a lawsuit to conclusion. And you are losing the use of the property while the lawsuit plays out.

Life is unfair, but you should treat this as a business decision and not let your completely justifiable anger cloud your judgment.

I hope this information is helpful.