Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
Generally speaking, yes. A warrant is only not needed in the following scenarios:
Search Incident to Lawful Arrest
Plain View Exception
Stop & Frisk
Emergencies / Hot Pursuit
For an explanation of each, see HERE. Unless one of the exceptions applies (and whether or not it does is ultimately up to the Court to decide), then the police arguably could not have entered without permission.
To win the case, the prosecutor would have to show that the Defendant (i.e. you) did one of the following:
(1) Harbor or conceal the other person or child;
(2) Provide the other person or child with money, transportation, a weapon, a disguise, or other means of avoiding discovery or apprehension;
(3) Warn the other person or child of impending discovery or apprehension;
(4) Destroy or conceal physical evidence of the crime or act, or induce any person to withhold testimony or information or to elude legal process summoning the person to testify or supply evidence;
(5) Communicate false information to any person;
(6) Prevent or obstruct any person, by means of force, intimidation, or deception, from performing any act to aid in the discovery, apprehension, or prosecution of the other person or child.
For more, see HERE.
Now, if the obstruction of justice charge fails, one may wish to consider suing the department for malicious prosecution.
The essential elements of a malicious [criminal] prosecution are (1) malice in instituting or continuing the prosecution, (2) lack of probable cause, and (3) termination of the prosecution in favor of the [criminal] defendant. Trussell v. General Motors Corp.,***** 3d 142 - Ohio: Supreme Court 1990. One can request actual and punitive damages as part of he case.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.