LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I live in WI. and when I return my child to school after a

Customer Question

I live in WI. and when I return my child to school after a doctor appointment I walk in and tell the desk he was out of school for a doctor appointment. The school claims he is truant unless I bring a note from the doctor proving that we were really there. I do not want the school employees to know what doctor we are seeing and subsequently what he is doctoring for. Does the school have the authority to demand a note from the doctor? Do we have the right to privacy in regards ***** ***** health care?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

The school can request a doctors note. They have NO legal right to ask for anything specific, regarding what and why your child is there but they can ask for documentation and evidence, to avoid issues with a lack of attendance. Presenting a letter with the doctors letterhead, stating that your child was seen, it not a violation of any HIPPA or health law or privacy acts.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!