LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I have a lawyer who is trying to make me pay 6.268.76

Customer Question

I have a lawyer who is trying to make me pay 6.268.76 for a divorce from 2011, I owed 2.390.78 and now he is adding on more fees, I only receive 842.00 a month from Social Security disability is there anything I can do.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The reality is that unless you have a lot of assets---such as you own your own home with tens of thousands of dollars in equity, or several cars and other assets, then you are essentially judgment proof. Even if the attorney were to sue you---which doesn't occur very often, he would not be allowed to garnish your social security benefits. So, while you may owe money, the attorney won't really have any way to collect it from you, and so perhaps the best approach is to simply do nothing at this point.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is asking for copying of my W-2 and how much I make should I give that information to him
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

There is no legal basis for him to demand any of that information----he simply is not entitled to it, and you should not give it to him.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your kind words. They are appreciated.

Please understand that in order for me to be compensated for having helped you, I need for you to positively rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy.

Thanks in advance.

I wish you the best,

Doug