Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My company was administratively dissolved on August 19, 2014

Customer Question

My company was administratively dissolved on August 19, 2014 in Georgia. My partner abandoned the company in may of 2015 and took assets and /or title with her. Does she have any legal rights to the assets left behind?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Can you please tell me what you mean by "administratively dissolved?" Did you formally dissolve it, or did the state dissolve it for non-filing of taxes, paperwork, etc? Or you simply walked away from it? Etc.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
State dissolved it for non-filing of taxes.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Okay, one last question. What exactly did she take? What assets? And what do you mean by taking the "title" with her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2007 Lexus GS-400, 2003 Roland Cut/Print Vinyl plotter, Sign making software, and title to a 2003 Ford F-250 Work Truck... The truck is still here though.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

What name is ***** ***** in? The company's? Yours, hers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe both were in hers... or the company and her....... not 100% sure.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Once the state dissolved your company, then it was as though the company never existed. As such, no-titled assets are simply divided between the former owners. If this cannot be done, the Court will divide it equitably if a party files for this.

Within this division, titled assets as the vehicles fall back unto whose names the titles are in. If it is in HER name, she can take the vehicles - they belong to her (and actually formally always have, and not the company). If the title is in the company's name, then the Court will decide who gets the vehicle based on that same "equitable" principle (since the company no longer exists, and the former owners cannot agree how to split the assets of the company).

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!