LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I live in a gated community. A few months ago I found out

Customer Question

Hi my name is Elvia and I live in a gated community. A few months ago I found out that one of my neighbors had cameras around his home. Upon some further investigation, I found out his cameras were pointing towards the common area of the community. To be more exact his cameras are facing the pool area. I find that very disturbing because I know nothing about this man. As far as I'm concerned he could be a pedophile.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Have you spoken with the Association about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but I looked it up and according to what I understand it is against the law for him to have cameras facing the common area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When people violate the rules in the community and he has proof on his camera he turns The videos of his camera. So he is using them for other purpose than protecting his home. If they are set up to catch rule violators then should there be a sign posted on his house saying that he has the right to keep an ion the community members and their families

You first want to speak with the Association, to see if he is in violations of any rules, since they can step in and tell him to remove the cameras or turn them to only record what happens on his own property. Now, the issue with it being illegal, would be up to a court to decide. I say this because it is a common area and open to the public, so there is a much lower expectation of privacy, opposed to his the cameras were looking into someone home. Seeing how the pool is being used by the community, you could always argue that his recording is interfering with your use and enjoyment of it and the cameras need to be moved. You can always call the police as well and have them check this out, if you desire but I can not see criminal charges being filed against this mean.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!